Stainless Steel Electropolishing
Similar to a plating line, stainless steel electropolishing (or stainless steel polishing) is a “reverse plating” process that uses a combination of rectified current and a blended chemical electrolyte bath to remove imperfections from the surface of metal parts and provides a surface that is clean and bright.
In stainless steel electropolishing, impurities, imperfections, and burrs are removed ion by ion from the surface of the metal object being electropolished. This replaces more traditional mechanical finishing techniques.
Parts are charged with positive voltage (anodic) in the electrolyte bath. The cathodes (-) draw current from the parts through the conductive electrolyte. As the current travels from the parts to the cathodes, it draws metal ions from the surface of the parts through the electrolyte. After the process is complete, the surfaces of the electropolished parts have a clean and polished surface. It is very similar to high polish chrome plating.
Benefits of our electropolishing process:
- Aesthetically appealing.
- Polishes areas inaccessible by other polishing methods
- Electropolishing improves surface reflectivity and brightness.
- Improves the surface finish by leveling micro peaks and valleys
- Removes iron from the surface and enhances the chromium/ nickel content providing the most superior form of passivation for stainless steel.
- Because electropolishing removes a small amount of material from the surface of the parts, it also removes small burrs.
- Electropolishing is also used to reduce the size of some parts when necessary.
- Provides a clean and smooth surface that is easier to sterilize.
Stainless steel polishing also provides a corrosion resistant surface, and removes any discoloration on the surface caused by heat-treating and/or oxidation leaving you with a bright, reflective finish. Our customers rely on our expertise in precision parts cleaning such as electropolishing to finish their complex edge geometries and part configurations.
To ensure consistency and quality, we perform all electropolishing, stainless steel passivation, and quality control operations to the highest standards required by the semiconductor, aerospace and medical industries.