Cryogenic Hardening & Stress Relief Treatment
Cryogenic hardening treatments provide increased stress relief to metals in the manufacturing of parts and components for a wide range of applications. Cryogenic stress relief increases the overall durability and strength of a material, leading to improved part performance and prolonged life expectancy.
Arrow Cryogenics’ cryogenic treatment process increases the density of metal materials. The treatment process makes them stronger and more solid, which in turn provides a dramatic increase in performance, durability, and wear resistance. Contact us for more information regarding our cryogenic hardening process and cryogenic stress relief services or call us at 800-813-0383 and we will happily assist you with any questions that you may have.
How Does Cryogenic Hardening Stress Relief Treatment Work?
The ryogenic stress relief treatment process is broken down into several steps that provide beneficial cryogenic hardening solutions for your part or component. Additionally, since the metal stress relief process transforms the material’s internal grain structure, it remains effective throughout the life of the part., which allows for repeat machining without the fear of losing the benefits of the treatment.
Cryogenic Stress Relief Treatment Process
- Parts are placed in a specially constructed, insulated tank.
- Liquid nitrogen is used to lower the temperature inside the chamber to -300°F (-184°C), without contacting the part.
- Automated control systems carefully monitor the introduction of liquid nitrogen, ensuring that the temperature is lowered at a safe rate that will not damage, distort, or stress parts.
- Once the target temperature is reached, parts remain in the cooling tank for an extended period; cooling time is determined by the material of construction, the thickness of the material, and other factors.
- Once the transformation is complete, parts are slowly returned to room temperature, then heated (to as much as 300°F/149°C) to temper the material and permanently solidify the altered grain structure.
Cryogenic Stress Relief Advantages
Cryogenic hardening and stress relief treatment of metals offers several benefits that cannot be matched by any other type of process. Some of the advantages include:
- Improves wear properties for extended part life
- Reduces replacement costs and downtime
- Reduces friction and surface roughness
- Alters and refines the material’s molecular grain structure
- Allows parts to be machined to tighter tolerances
- Increases dimensional stability on critical components
- Reduces stress fracturing
- Makes machining and redressing easier
- Increases component durability and lifespan
Cryogenic Stress Relief Treatment Applications
The cryogenic hardening process is used to treat parts and components that require tighter tolerances, extended wear life, and reduced friction. Some of the industries that benefit from cryogenic stress relief treatment include:
- Sports Equipment
- Musical Instruments
Cryogenic hardening stress relief treatment is extremely effective at enhancing the strength and durability of heat-treated martensitic steels, such as high carbon and high chromium steels, as well as tool steels and other metals.