Cryogenic Stress Relieving
The cryogenic process cools materials, typically metals, to extremely low temperatures to relieve residual stresses. Our Cryogenic Stress Relieving uses nitrogen to hold products at temperatures below the material’s ductile-to-brittle transition point.
Strength and Toughness From the Cold
Through controlled cooling, we subject metals to temperatures reaching nearly -300°F (-184°C) to reduce the thermal expansion coefficient of the microstructure. This lowers distortion, increases strength, and improves wear and corrosion resistance for parts often used in aerospace, automotive, and semiconductor industries.
Advantages of Cryogenic Treatment of Aluminum
- Reduced residual stresses: The material’s dimensional stability is improved, and the risk of distortion or cracking is reduced.
- Improved machinability: By reducing internal stresses, cryogenic treatment makes the material easier to machine with CNC equipment.
- Increased fatigue life: Reducing residual stresses makes aluminum components more durable and resistant to failure over time.
- Improved thermal stability: Cryogenic stress relief makes aluminum parts more resistant to changes in temperature and thermal cycling.
Liquid nitrogen lowers the temperature inside the tank to -300 °F (-184°C) and slowly returns to room temp. The target temperature for parts inside the take depends on the material used.
Advantages of cryogenic stress relief include:
- Alters the molecular grain microstructure of the entire metal part, not just the surface layer
- Reduces residual stresses and stress cracking
- Improves toughness, dimensional stability, and wear properties of metal parts
- Gives parts greater stability at room temperature
- Reduces coefficient of friction and surface roughness
- Enables the machining of parts to tighter tolerances
- Increases dimensional stability on critical components
- Reduces stress fracturing
- Increases abrasion and impact resistance
- Improves metal materials’ dielectric properties
- Provides for easier machining and redressing
- Increases component durability and lifespan
- Extended part life for lower replacement costs and reduced downtime
Cryogenic stress relief increases the density of metal materials, making them stronger and more solid. This can yield dramatic improvements in the performance, durability, and wear resistance of metal parts and components.
Parts treated via cryogenic metal stress relieving may be re-machined or re-ground indefinitely without altering the effects of the cryogenic stress relief process.
Your Single Source of Total Solutions
We look beyond today to increase efficiency and serve your business.
MedicalLearn about Medical
We finish your materials within tight tolerances to meet exacting quality and regulatory demands.
MilitaryLearn about Military
Defense contractors rely on our anodizing, laser-marking, descaling, and other services to meet military specifications.
PharmaceuticalLearn about Pharmaceutical
We innovate processes in the science and art of finishing precision-engineered pharmaceutical components.
Precision ManufacturingLearn about Precision Manufacturing
CNC manufacturers rely on our services to complete final finishing.
AutomotiveLearn about Automotive
Our precision capabilities handle high-volume jobs for automotive OEMs.
AerospaceLearn about Aerospace
We offer a range of finishing services for aerospace components and maintain NADCAP certification
ElectronicsLearn about Electronics
Our finishing services meet critical tolerances for metal and plastic parts made for consumer electronics.
HydraulicsLearn about Hydraulics
Our deburring, deflashing, and other services optimize the operating life of hydraulic equipment.
Water PurificationLearn about Water Purification
Our services for finishing water-system components include cryogenic deflashing, passivation, and laser marking.
ComputingLearn about Computing
We offer anodizing and laser marking of components and enclosures for computers and audio equipment.
Food ServiceLearn about Food Service
Our cleaning and finishing services meet strict regulatory requirements while enhancing performance and longevity.
FirearmsLearn about Firearms
Our suite of capabilities delivers precise results producing the highest quality finishes.
Finished Means Finished. Done
We eliminate the need for your parts to go elsewhere.